1/12/2012Intersection Improvement Projects
Mount Vernon Road & Vermack Road/ Manhasset Drive Improvement Project
The intersection at Mount Vernon Road and Vermack Road/Manhasset Drive has been identified in the City of Dunwoody’s Comprehensive Transportation Plan as a high priority project due to its current poor Level of Service. Mount Vernon Road is one of the primary east-west corridors in the City and Vermack Road provides access to Dunwoody High School and Vanderlyn Elementary School.
The current intersection is signalized, however, the lack of turn lanes causes longer traffic cues and wait times. The intersection is also deficient in accommodating bicyclists and pedestrians.
This fully-funded project is an opportunity to provide a solution for the relief of congestion an accommodate mobility and safety for vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists. The City Council funded preliminary and final design for 2013.
There will be an Open House to discuss this project on Monday, June 17 from 6-8p.m. at St. Luke Presbyterian Church.
Additional Project Information:
Proposed Alternative 1A
Proposed Alternative 1B
Proposed Alternative 2
Proposed Alternative 3
Tilly Mill Road - North Peachtree Road Intersection Improvement Project
In early 2011 the City adopted a Comprehensive Transportation Plan to guide future investment in transportation improvements. Development of the plan included an analysis of existing and future traffic conditions throughout the City. This traffic analysis indicated that the North Peachtree/Tilly Mill and Peeler intersections currently operate at an unacceptable level of service particularly during the peak of the morning commute. The transportation plan recommended an intersection improvement project to relieve congestion and improve safety. The project was identified as a high priority for the City based on public input during development of the transportation plan.
In the fall of 2011, the City’s design consultant for the project conducted traffic counts and provided a more detailed study of the traffic at the intersection. This study indicated that in the design year of 2035 the traffic conditions during the peak of the afternoon commute will deteriorate significantly without improvements to the intersection. An analysis of the crash history also found that:
· The accident rate on Tilly Mill is above the state average
· Approximately 65 percent of the total number of crashes at the Tilly Mill and North Peachtree intersection were rear-end type crashes, which are likely a result from congestion and insufficient storage lengths at the intersection.
· Approximately 42 percent of the total number of crashes at Peeler and North Peachtree were angle type, which likely were caused from vehicles entering the intersection from the unsignalized approach on Peeler Road when there was not an appropriate gap in traffic on North Peachtree Road.
1. Relieve traffic congestion at the intersection.
2. Improve safety.
3. Provide better accommodations for pedestrians and cyclists.
4. Enhance the appearance of the intersection through the use of mast arm signals and landscaping.
The City is currently working on preliminary design concepts and anticipates beginning final design in 2012. The construction has not been budgeted and therefore could not begin until late 2013 at the earliest.
Big Map - Tilly Mill and North Peachtree.pdf
N Peachtree and Tilly Mill FAQ Handout.pdf
Womack/ Vermack Intersection Project
The City Council has requested that City Staff continue to evaluate the roundabout and traffic signal alternatives presented in 2012.
Womack - Vermack Roundabout Handout
Womack-Vermack Signal Alternative Handout
Roundabout Alternative_Concept Rendering
Traffic Signal Alternative_Concept Rendering