PLEASE NOTE: These calculations are for estimation purposes ONLY! Do not bring a pre-written check to our offices without checking with us first. Thank you!
Building Permit fees in the City of Dunwoody are based on the cost of construction (valuation) of your project. The city calculates its own valuation based on the floor area of the project and a pre-determined cost per square foot based on the type of construction. Please use the calculations and examples below to calculate your project's permit fee.
Step 1: Determine your valuations per Square Foot
Commonly used price values:
- All Interior Remodeling (Residential & Commercial) - $50/SF
- New Residential & Additions - $ 110.29/SF
- Open Decks & Porches - $15/SF
- Screened & Enclosed Decks - $30/SF
- Storage Sheds - $20/SF
- For all other new construction valuations, click here.
Step 2: Calculate You Project's Valuation
- Square Footage of Project x Price Value per Square Foot = Valuation
For projects with areas of different valuations, calculate each area's valuation separately, then add together for a total project valuation.
EXAMPLE: 350SF of Interior Remodel x $50/SF = $17,500.00
Step 3: Calculate your Building Permit Fee
- Commercial: Valuation x ($8/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = Building Permit Fee
- Residential: Valuation x ($6/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = Building Permit Fee
COMMERCIAL EXAMPLE: $17,500 x ($8/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = $165.00
RESIDENTIAL EXAMPLE: $17,500 x ($6/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = $130.00
Step 4: Calculate your Primary Subcontractor Fees (For Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing ONLY)
- Commercial: Valuation x ($1.20/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = Subcontractor Fee
- Residential: Valuation x ($0.90/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = Subcontractor Fee
COMMERCIAL EXAMPLE: $17,500 x ($1.2/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = $46.00 per Subcontractor
RESIDENTIAL EXAMPLE: $17,500 x ($0.9/$1000) + $25 Application Fee = $40.75 per Subcontractor
Step 5: Other Subcontractor Fees: (Low Voltage, Fire Alarm, Sprinkler, etc)
- Sprinkler: $200 & up (determined in plan review)
- Fire Alarm: $200 & up (determined in plan review)
- Low Voltage: $75
Other Applicable Fees:
- Certificate of Occupancy/Completion - $50 assessed at the completion of the project.
- Re-Inspection Fee: $50 assessed after each failed inspection to be paid before further inspections.
Full Fee Schedule:
Please click here for the full fee schedule