Skip Navigation LinksF.A.Q

Dunwoody Municipal Court staff is pleased to assist you with any procedural matters you may have questions about concerning our Court, including information on any cash bonds posted at the time of arrest. Please remember that our court staff cannot answer legal questions, nor give you legal advice regarding what to do with your case. If you need legal advice, please consult with an attorney of your choice.

Q. Are interpreters available?

A. Yes. A Spanish interpreter is provided for all court sessions. Upon request, interpreter services will be provided for other languages as well. If you are in need of interpreter services, you must contact and inform the court as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to inform the Court prior to your scheduled court date and time by contacting the Clerk’s office at 678-382-6973.


Q. I was issued a ticket from a Dunwoody police officer. What should I do?
A. There is a scheduled court date and time indicated on the citation. This is your arraignment date. You will be asked to enter a plea at that time. Please be on time for your appointed court date as the Judge will give you an abundance of valuable information at the opening of the court session.

Q. Can I pay my ticket before the court date and time to avoid a court appearance?
A. If the violation is not a mandatory appearance violation, you may pay the fine prior to the court date and time to avoid an appearance in court. If your fine is not paid by the end of your scheduled court session, you will be penalized for failing to appear in court on your scheduled court date and time. You may contact the Clerk’s office to find out the amount of your fine, or pay it online using the link provided. Click Here: To Pay Fines Online


Q. How do I pay my Fine?

A. Several different methods of payment are available.You may use the online payment portal or appear in person. Acceptable forms of payment include Mastercard, Visa, money order, and cash (in person only). No personal checks will be accepted.


Q. What is a "must appear" or “mandatory” offense?
A. "Must appear offenses" are those for which a defendant is required to appear before the Judge in court. Examples include but are not limited to DUI, Possession of Marijuana, Shoplifting, Disorderly Conduct, No License, Suspended License, Suspended Registration, Aggressive Driving, No Insurance and City Ordinances.


Q. What if I want to plead not guilty and have a trial?

A. If you plead not guilty, you will be given the option of having a non-jury trial by our Judge here in Dunwoody Municipal Court or a jury trial in DeKalb County State Court before a jury of your peers. Trials are NOT heard on your arraignment date. Officers are not present at your arraignment. Non-jury trial request are reset to a trial calendar to allow time to subpoena all witnesses, including the officer, who may be called upon to testify at trial. Jury trial requests will be transferred to DeKalb County. Only state misdemeanor charges can be transferred for jury trials. No city ordinance violations may be transferred - they must first be tried in Municipal Court by operation of law.


Q. How do I obtain an attorney?

A. You may hire a private attorney to represent your case and have them file an entry of appearance with the court. However, if you can not afford an attorney, you will be required to complete an application for a Public Defender. The Judge will review your application and interview you under oath to determine eligibility under Federal guidelines to have an attorney appointed to represent you. A fifty dollar ($50.00) application fee may be assessed to your case upon adjudication at the discretion of the Court.


Q. How do I pick up or request an accident report?

A. Accident reports may be obtained through the Dunwoody Police Department. You may contact the police department at 678-382-6919 for more information.


Q. How do I appeal the Judge's decision?
A. If you do not agree with the Judge's decision of your case you may appeal it through the Superior Court of DeKalb County. Please contact the Clerk's office in DeKalb County Superior Court for further information.